Case Number: 16-1871-EL-BGN
Project: Icebreaker Wind Facility
Applicant: Icebreaker Windpower, Inc.
Location: Lake Erie, Cuyahoga County
Status: Evidentiary hearing, August 20, 2019
The Applicant proposes to construct a six turbine wind-powered electric generation facility in Lake Erie, approximately 8 to 10 miles off the shore of Cleveland. The turbine model proposed has a nameplate capacity of 3.45 megawatts (MW). The project would also include include an 11.8-mile long submerged electric line to transmit power to Cleveland Public Power's onshore Lake Road substation.
On July 3, 2018, the OPSB technical staff published its Report of Investigation, recommending that the Board approve construction of the facility subject to 34 conditions. The staff report is only a recommendation, and the final decision regarding the proposed facility remains pending before the Board.
The purpose of the local hearings held in Cleveland in November 2017 and July 2018 was to allow the public to express their views about the proposed facility. The purpose of the adjudicatory hearing held during September and October 2018 was to allow formal parties to the case to present pre-filed testimony and evidence, and to cross examine other parties’ witnesses. The transcript for each hearing will be made available online in the case record.
On September 4, 2018, Icebreaker Windpower, the Business Network for Offshore Wind, the Sierra Club, the Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters, and the Ohio Environmental Council filed an agreement, known as a stipulation, in this case. Beginning on November 21, 2019, these parties and the OPSB staff were engaged in further settlement discussions, and on May 15, 2019, filed a revised stipulation that replaces the earlier one.
The OPSB has reopened the proceedings in this case and held a prehearing settlement conference on June 5, 2019. The procedural schedule going forward is listed below:
- Signatory parties to the revised stipulation should provide all parties with a list of potential witnesses by June 28, 2019.
- Parties in opposition to the revised stipulation should provide all parties with a list of potential witnesses by July 12, 2019.
- Signatory parties should file testimony regarding by July 26, 2019.
- Testimony in opposition should be filed by August 9, 2019.
- The evidentiary hearing will commence on August 20, 2019, at 10 a.m., at 180 East Broad Street, Hearing Room 11-A, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
Participate and stay informed